One of the most abundant proteins in the human body is collagen and is found in our bones, blood, connective tissues, joints, and cartilage. It performs multiple functions, including giving your skin a good elasticity and providing strength to your bone.
Additionally, collagen is produced in our bodies naturally. As we grow older, collagen production decreases, leading to changes in skin elasticity, visibility of wrinkles and more. This whole process is inevitable, but resorting to a collagen supplement would be great if you want to combat this process.
Continue reading as we list some of the best collagen supplements that are worth giving a shot at. Additionally, we will help you understand collagen and its aspects.
Understanding the aspects of collagen and its supplement
Collagen is found in various parts of the body and has 28 types, but the most common types are:
- Type I: This is the most common among four and is found in connective tissue
- Type II: This type is found in intervertebral discs and joints
- Type III: This is the primary component of reticular fibers and is found in your blood and skin vessels.
- Type IV: It’s a component of your inner ear, eye lens and kidneys.
In our body, collagen is produced naturally by mixing with amino acids, responsible for building proteins found in food. So, to produce collagen, here is what your body require:
- Vitamin C: You will find it in bell peppers and citrus fruits like orange, lemon and more.
- Copper: It is found in lentils, cashews, sesame seeds, cocoa powder and organ meats
- Proline: It is found in cabbage, asparagus, egg white, mushrooms, and dairy
- Zinc: It is found in nuts, beef, cheese, beans, pork, chickpeas, shellfish, milk and lamb.
- Glycine: It is found in various protein-rich foods, gelatin, chicken skin and pork skin.
Whether you consume collagen supplements or whole food, it helps in reducing wrinkles and improving joint pain.
You will find collagen supplements usually in capsules or powders and are hydrolyzed, meaning the collagen is broken into smaller amino acids. That way, it gets easier to absorb.
Furthermore, collagen types in the supplement may vary according to different brands. Some supplements may have one or two types, while others may have more than five.
Best Collagen Supplements
#1 Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Complex
Multi collagen complex from Vital Vitamins is an all-around supplement that supports your skin, hair and joints. This supplement has five collagen types, including I, II, III, V and X. Additionally, this collagen is applicable for men and women. It’s a GMO-free collagen supplement manufactured in a GMP-recognized laboratory. Plus, the pills are devoid of dairy, hormones and gluten.
The hydrolysate pill is easy to swallow and allows quick absorption. You can have three capsules per day with water or a meal. If you’re looking for effective and multi-purpose collagen, then this would be a good choice for you.(1)
- The supplement is suitable for both men and women.
- It consists of five collagen types that help improve your joints, nails, skin, tendon and hair.
- It’s not suitable for those with egg or fish allergies.
#2 Youtheory Collagen with Vitamin C
Collagen supplement with vitamin C from Youtheory is versatile as it’s free of gluten, soy and dairy. That way, one can have it without having to worry about allergies. This supplement comprises eighteen amino acids and is suitable for tendons and ligaments. It also enhances the strength of your hair and nails.
Additionally, it boosts your immune system because of the inclusion of vitamin C. The supplement is available in tablet form, and you can have six pills per day. It’s advisable to consult a doctor before having this supplement if you have any health issues to be on the safe side.
- The supplement contains 260 tablets which can last for more than a month.
- It’s made in the USA, and tested by a third party.
- Some may find it hard to swallow the pill because of its size.
#3 Sanar Collagen Pills with Vitamin C
If you’re looking for a simple yet solid collagen supplement, then you can opt for Sanar collagen pills with vitamin C. This supplement works effectively to reduce wrinkle lines around the nose and eyes.
It comes in capsule form and is easy to swallow, plus the bottle size is compact, allowing you to put it in any bag’s size. This collagen supplement is applicable for men and women, making it versatile. Additionally, the supplement is free of GMO, dairy, hormones and gluten.
- The supplement is great for women as it avoids aging signs.
- It also gives relief to your joints.
- It may take a few weeks to see changes around your face.
#4 Dr. Emil Nutrition Multi-Collagen
The five-in-one collagen supplement from Dr. Emil Nutrition is a GMO-free product available in capsule form. This collagen supplement is produced in a cGMP facility, proving that it is manufactured as per the guidelines set by the authority. The collagen types, including I, II, III, V and X, cover up all aspects from hair to your gut health. Additionally, it helps to improve your skin elasticity and reduces wrinkle lines.
- It’s made of good quality ingredients manufactured in a cGMP facility.
- The supplement contains BioPerine enhancing the fast absorption rate.
- Some customers complain about the variation capsule’s smell and visuals compared to their earlier purchase.
#5 NeoCell Super Collagen with Vitamins
The super collagen with vitamins is suitable for everyday use and improves your health both in and out. This supplement helps improve your immune system. Additionally, it’s gluten and GMO-free collagen and comes in tablet form. This super collagen is applicable for both men and women, offering multiple benefits, including joint relief, hydrating skin, strong hair and more.
- It comes in two collagen types, I & III, along with vitamin C.
- The supplement is great for your skin, nails, hair and joints.
- The tablet size is large, and some may find it hard to swallow.